The history of Cooperative Movement in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands started in the year 1946 with registration of the first Cooperative Society viz. Rangachang Cooperative Land Syndicate was registered under Cooperative Societies Act 1912. The major development took place only after Independence with the influx of refugees brought under Colonization Schemes of the Government of India. At present there are 1291 Nos. of Cooperative Societies with a total membership of 84791 comprising of 38.82% of the total adult population (Total adult population 218387 as per 2001 Census) and a share capital of Rs. 512.078 lakhs have been registered. During the year, 2009, 40 Nos. of Cooperative Societies have been registered with a total membership of 501 and paid up share capital of Rs. 5 lakhs.
The Cooperative Department is placed under the administrative control of the Commissioner-cum-Secretary (Coop) A&N Administration. At the departmental level, Registrar of coop. Societies is the head of Department assisted by 3 Deputy Registrar of Coop. Societies one each at Port Blair, Mayabunder and Car Nicobar, 12 Assistant Registrar of Coop. Societies, 36 Inspectors of Coop. Societies and 15 Sub-Inspector of Coop. Societies posted in different parts of the A&N Islands monitoring & supervising functioning of coop. societies, responsible for registration, Inspection, audit & supervision which are the main functioning of cooperative department under the statute of the A&N islands Coop. Societies Regulation, 1973 and rules framed there under and the bye-laws framed by the respective coop. societies under the ambit of the said Regulation & Rules